Poompuhar College is located on the southern bank of the sacred river Cauvery in a village popularly known as Melaiyur-Poompuhar, Sirkali Taluk in the Nagapattinam district. On its eastern side lies the Bay of Bengal in three kilometers, which was once a thriving port city of the ancient chola empire? In olden days, this harbor city witnessed a business hub of trade and commerce running across the ocean until the Roman Empire.
The Hindu religious and charitable endowment department of the Govt. of Tamil Nadu established this college to glorify these greatness of the place by diverting funds from the temples and religious institutions. His highness maharaja of Mysore Jayasamaraja Wadaiyar, then the governor of Tamilnadu, inaugurated this college on the 2nd May 1964. This institution caters to the educational needs of the rural students living in and around Poompuhar. At the time of the inception this college had three year B.A Degree course having oriental culture as a major subject and it continues until 1968. The studentsí strength at the time of the inception was only 16 and they were accommodated as residential students providing free board and lodging.
The strength of the college started growing from year to year and it reached 600 students in 1968. New buildings were inaugurated by the chief minister Dr. kalaignar M.Karunanidhi on the 13th July 1969. Then for the first time the college started the pre-university courses having history, commerce, economics & advanced Tamil as the optional subjects. From then onwards the college started new courses every year. This college is affiliated to the Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli. Now the colleges have 10 departments to its credit.
At present, a total of 2051 students are studying in this college in different branches of studies. Co-education system was introduced from the year 1990-91. Of them 1522 students are in the day college roll and 529 students are in the self- financing courses. Among them 1021 are female students and 1030 are male students. Majority of the students belong to the scheduled caste, scheduled tribe, most backward classes residing in rural village atmosphere. Their parents are agricultural laborers, fisherman and daily wages earners. At present the strength of the teachers in this college is 49 out of sanctioned strength of 72 members. The management has provided guest lecturers in hourly basis to overcome the shortfall of the number of lecturers to cater to the educational needs and requirement of the students. 27 members are working in the office administration against 44 sanctioned. The financial support is given by the management.